Once I make a pot of soup, all I really want to do is to make another.
Yesterday it was cauliflower soup, today it’s broccoli and spinach. Tomorrow… ooh, chunky corn chowder sounds yummy!
Creamy Broccoli & Spinach Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 pounds broccoli florets
- 6 to 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound baby spinach leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sriracha sauce
- Toasted and salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Melt the butter into the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, once the butter is melted, add the onion, garlic and bay leaves, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add the broccoli and 6 cups of the broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot.
Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender and easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife.
Stir in the spinach until just wilted.
Transfer the mixture to a blender and purée until smooth, adding another cup of broth if needed for desired consistency.
Return to the pot and stir in the salt, pepper and Sriracha to taste.
Serves 10 to 12